This is a journey into sound…
Since 2013 Big Fish Little Fish have brought raving to the family massive.
An independent, grassroots music and events crew of seasoned ravers and parents that put on family raves with all the freedom and excitement of a mini-festival, right in the heart of cities and towns across the UK.
“London’s latest clubbing craze. Reliably Excellent” – The Guardian
“credible DJ bills…..great effects…..magical” – Time Out
“responsible irresponsibility” – Robert Archand, BFLF regular
“The most fun we’ve ever had together as a family” – BFLF first timer
“three best days of my life: getting married, having my child, now THIS!” – BFLF first timer
Drawing on our experience as ravers and parents the BFLF crew create anarchic, social, daft fun for all ages. Inspired by Hannah’s (the founder) lifelong love of clubbing and her family’s enjoyment of festivals. BFLF is something we want to take our own families to – somewhere relaxed, entertaining, and where the adults enjoy themselves as much as the children and vice versa with grandparents, uncles, aunts and carers all in the mix.
‘Raving always came from the heart, a way to express a love of music and dancing with your friends. BFLF extends that across the generations so you can rave with your family too. It’s a celebration of life, love, unity and music. Together on the dance floor. ‘ – Hannah BFLF Founder
We work hard to make sure each event is unique – different DJs, creative themes and guest artists running everything from hula-hoop demonstrations to synthesiser workshops to interactive light installations.
Our parties are held in interesting and quirky venues; clubs, arts spaces, festivals, woods and pubs, which help create the ambience of being at a real rave.
Started in Brixton, summer 2013 BFLF now runs on weekend afternoons across the UK and Australia, and also works with other festivals and organisations (Glastonbury Festival, Camp Bestival, South Bank Centre, Edinburgh Festival, V&A Museum, Beautiful Days, Coventry Mysteries, Kendal Calling, National Gallery, Stratford Circus, The Museum of London, LGBQT Pride, Out With The Family, Winterville, Mini VAULT, Farnham Maltings, Dreamland Margate and the London Electronic Arts Festival).
Regular events are now held all over the country including: Plymouth, Exeter, Bristol, Oxford, Birmingham, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Liverpool, Nottingham, Sheffield, Leeds, Newcastle, Leicester, Norwich, Cambridge, Brighton, Newcastle, Southampton, Bournemouth, Aberdeen, Inverness, Sunderland and Manchester and many more. We also run in Melbourne, Brisbane, Gold Coast, and Sydney Australia. COMING SOON – USA & Canada!
What you can expect at a BFLF Family Rave:
- Top DJs playing club classics (2 Bad Mice, Jumping Jack Frost, Slipmatt, Aphrodite, DJ SS, Altern 8, Terry Francis, Plastician, Jerome Hill, Radioactive Man, Justin Robertson, Krafty Kuts, K Klass, DJ Food, The Orb, Tom Middleton, Terry Farley, Hatcha, Mixmaster Morris and Nihal have all played – check individual events for details)
- Fancy dress themes
- Bubble and snow machines, club visuals, giant balloons, glitter cannons and parachute dance
- Craft area with themed crafts, giant colouring mural, playdoh table
- Licensed bar
- Facepainting stall (sometimes)
- Play area with tents, tunnels and inflatables
- Babies-only chillout safe space
- Baby change and buggy park
- One-off installations/workshops (see event pages for details)
BFLF combine the big weekend raves with the BFLF monthly radio show and appearances at various festivals and quirky one off events.
We believe everyone has the right to a good time – so big fish, grab your little fish and see you on the dancefloor…Love Hannah and the BFLF crew xxx
DJs will be announced in advance of each party but may be subject to unavoidable change.
- Adults remain responsible for their children at all times.
- For families with younger children (8s and under) though all ages are welcome as long as there are both adults and children in your party.
- Adult only groups are not admitted . A max of 3 children per adult in a family. If attending as a large party (more than two families) please ensure one adult to two children minimum. We will refuse entry to groups where there is inadequate supervision.
- If there are more than 4 adults per child in your group please email email@example.com for pre-approval before buying tickets.
- Tickets are non-refundable but can be transferred/sold on.
- Each member of your group must have a ticket and pre-walking infants free (but ticketed).
- The dancefloor is for adults and children to dance together. It is a family rave not a children’s party so the DJ does not do birthday shoutouts or take requests. Music is grown up club music. BFLF is designed to provide a family friendly, authentic club experience and is not a traditional children’s party or disco. There is no kids or ‘chart’ music, nor games, nor DJ shout outs. The effect is to give families unity on the dancefloor – dancing together.
- For indoor events low lighting/club lighting rigs (no strobes) are used. Please allow a few minutes for your eyes to adjust when first entering.
- Music is played at safe levels for everyone. BFLF sets and monitors the volume using World Health Organisation guidelines – so that is it at a safe level for everyone, even the youngest babies, over the 2 hour duration of the event. Though quieter than at adult events, it is still loud enough to feel like you are at a club but given the number of children attending there is a constant level of background noise during the event. Most parents do not use ear defenders on their children but if yours are particularly sensitive to noise or if you want them to nap then you might want to consider it.
- Please be aware that events are standing/dancing with limited seating. The events will be busy with hundreds attending – which helps create the rave ambience.
- Each event is stewarded and risk assessed in advance.
- Buggies must be left in buggy park and will not be allowed on the dance floor as they are a tripping hazard.
- A licensed bar will be open during the event but no glass is permitted.
- We may photograph or film small parts of the event and by entering you are giving your permission for these to be used for BFLF promotion purposes.